Tuesday, June 28, 2011

First Book Signing: Ahah and Duh Moments

Last Saturday, I read and signed copies of my new picture book, Katie Ling Fashion Queen at the Kingwood Branch Library. It was a blast. Kids are so fun, especially excited, little girls. They were adorable! Many came decked out in sparkly jewelry and bright, frilly clothes. So cute! Although, my experience was a rewarding and unforgettable one, if I had a do-over, I would definitely sit down and make a checklist to check and re-check before the actual event. I made it harder on myself by making a mental instead of physical list. Below are the items that would certainly go on this list. Live and learn, right?

Book Signing Checklist (I know, but I'm a title person)

1. Book Copies
2. Pen
3. Chart for contact information (like if you aren't taking credit card)
4. Business Cards (I used printer paper, but as I handed the flimsy paper to potential buyers, I wished they looked a little more professional)
5. Refreshments (I went this route with homemade cookies and lemonade. Someday maybe this won't be as necessary, but for now, I'm trying to be remembered and make a name for myself)
6. Napkins and Cups (again, cute but cheap from the dollar store)
7. Journals, glitter, sequins, markers, glue for activity (I feel this is important with kids. Many stopped by just from seeing the supplies on the table. While the kids did the activity, parents perused through the book. Luckily, I had everything but the glue and markers from teaching. So, use what you have!)
9. Posters (I made one poster for the front of the children's book section and one to display where we were at, so people walking by would know what was going on immediately. Unfortunately, I didn't think about displaying the poster a week or so in advance at the library. That would've been smart. I made it the day before without much advertising thought. Next time!)
10. One of those wheeled boxes (I borrowed a really deep one from my husband. That was awesome! From where my car was parked to where the actual signing took place was a little ways. This really cut down on the trips in between and gave me more setup time. Thanks hubby!)
8. Last but not least, CASH! (I completely forgot to get cash for those who need change. My mom-in-law ended up running to a nearby store. Pathetic, I know, but like I said live and hopefully learn!)

There you have it! Yes, I definitely could have made my book signing flow smoother in several ways. Nonetheless, everyone seemed to have a great time.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful signing. This list is great and will help me with my first signing as well. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, kids are a lot of fun to be around. I'm glad the blog will help. Good luck at your first signing, Aubrie! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Krissy! I think you're brave for doing a signing at all, I have yet to try...

    R x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific post. Enjoyed reading your learning experience. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the list. Despite pitfalls, sounds like you had fun. Good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rachel - There is such a vulnerability that I didn't think about before with a book signing. I've never been much of a salesperson, but when someone does buy the book that you don't know b/c they like it, that's pretty awesome!
    @Julie - Thanks!!
    @Nathan - Definitely. The good times certainly outweighed the pitfalls. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete